Carbon footprint is the amount of greenhouse gases we add to the atmosphere over a certain period of time. It surely is taking its toll on our planet and it will get worse if we don’t do anything about it immediately. The more you reduce these gases, the better it is for us, and the greener our planet will be. Below is a list of 11 things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint on the planet.
11 Actions to reduce our carbon footprint on the planet
Sustainability is reducing our impacts on the planet, reducing wastage and utilizing all our available resources more efficiently. It not only saves our planet but it also saves us money.
1. Reduce the carbon footprint of your commute: You can literally save a ton of carbon dioxide from emitting into the atmosphere just by changing your driving habits.
2. Check your commute options: Check for ways you can reduce carbon emission. Carpooling or using the public transportation system could reduce carbon emission.
3. Obey the speed limit: Our vehicles are designed to perform their best and give you the maximum amount of fuel efficiency when you drive within the posted speed limits on the highway. Accelerate slowly, maintain a steady speed and anticipate stops.
4. Drive efficient cars: Driving smaller and more fuel efficient cars would save you on fuel cost and also emit less carbon. Check your vehicle for emission level, keep engine clean, properly tuned, and check for oil leaks. Also keep your tires inflated to the recommended level.
6. Reduce carbon footprint of your home: Sealing your homes and using a programmable thermostat could make your home more energy efficient.
7. Lighting: Change your lights to energy efficient ones, Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) save more than 2/3rds of the energy of a regular bulb.
8. Heating and cooling: Keep your heating and cooling systems fine tuned. Change filters and service or change old systems. Replace or service all pipes, ducts and ventilation systems.
9. Insulation: Check weather wrapping, caulking and insulation around the house. Replace old doors and windows with energy efficient ones.
10. Replace appliances: Energy efficient appliances can save you a significant amount of money and energy over their entire lifetime.
12.. Check your plumbing: Faulty plumbing could cost you thousands of dollars and waste thousands of gallons of water. Repair leaks and replace faulty plumbing systems. Efficient plumbing systems, toilets and showers will save you money, heating cost and water. Use cold water for washing and turn off faucet when brushing your teeth for saving more water and energy.
Every individual is responsible for reducing their carbon footprints. These are 11 simple things to reduce your carbon footprint, that anyone can follow. Just imaging if all of us followed these tips, we could have a significant impact on the globe to reduce our carbon footprint.
Please join us in our battle against environmental degradation, or at least help us spread awareness. Maybe we can find a solution together. To learn more about Environmental Professionals Network and to get a hold of us, click here to book a meeting, or call us at 303-495-3705 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We’d love your feedback and comments, so please feel free to add your comments below or visit our Facebook page, we’d really appreciate it.
Related articles and resources:
- 5 Global Green Issues Killing Mother Earth – Save Her! | Environmental Professionals Network
- Sustainability & Ecological Footprint –How We Impact the Globe | Environmental Professionals Network
- CO2 Now | CO2 Home
- Jobs Researcher in the field of sustainable heating and cooling systems with focus on energy systems and markets analysis
- State Speed Limit Chart | Speed Limits
- 25 Ways To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
- 25+ Tips to Reduce Carbon Footprint from COTAP.org
- 10 Actions You Can Take Today to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint